TracFone Wireless is among the popular American prepaid, no-contract wireless providers. Besides, it operates as a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) by holding agreements with all the largest carriers in the country. This carrier owns and provides services and products through several other brands, and you can currently apply for Tracfone Affordable Connectivity Program or ACP through any qualifying providers on the Tracfone network. Notably, only one ACP per household, not per person, is applicable.
However, there is a likelihood you can now receive ACP discounts from SafeLink Wireless, TracFone, Straight Talk, Total Wireless, Simple Mobile, and Walmart Family Mobile. All of these brands, except SafeLink Wireless, haven’t officially confirmed participation in the new ACP program. If you qualify for Tracfone ACP, you can get a discount on Tracfone wireless plans and other benefits on wireless devices. The benefits include a $30 broadband discount and $70 for qualifying tribal lands, along with a $100 device discount.
On the other hand, the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is a federal government benefit program led by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). This program aims to ensure wireless connectivity is accessible to eligible households. You can get a monthly internet discount if you qualify, as the new benefit aims to connect households to healthcare services, jobs, virtual classrooms, and so much more.
What Benefits Do I Get for the TracFone Affordable Connectivity Program?
In most cases, each ACP provider gives slightly different ACP benefits, but the providers who offered EBB benefits tend to provide similar ACP benefits. Assumably, TracFone Wireless ACP may now offer similar benefits through its EBB program, which includes:
- 3 G.B. of unlimited carryover data
- Free unlimited talk
- Free unlimited text
Read more about the free cell phone service for life unlimited everything for TracFone Wireless customers who require more than the ACP benefits offer.
Currently, the only TracFone brand with ACP participation so far is SafeLink Wireless, and provides the following ACP benefits for qualified customers:
- Free unlimited talk (Canada, Mexico, and all U.S. states)
- Free unlimited text (Canada, Mexico, and all U.S. states)
- Up to 5 G.B. of hotspot data
- Free unlimited data (25 G.B. of high-speed data)
- A free smartphone
Who Should Apply For Tracfone ACP?
First, anyone applying for the TracFone ACP program must be 18 or more years old or an emancipated minor. However, emancipated minors will have to submit an official document showing their status. The documentation includes a court document or the certificate of emancipation.
For the online application process, you will have the opportunity to attach such documents. However, you can also do it by mail and make copies or take pictures of the documents by a smartphone, camera, copy machine, or scanner. Do not send unclear copies, and ensure never to submit original copies.
How Do I Qualify for the TracFone Wireless ACP?
To be eligible for TracFone Wireless ACP or any other ACP program, you must qualify for ACP. However, the FCC determines the ACP eligibility criteria, and mostly, they are universal for all ACP providers.
Generally, a household is ACP-eligible under meeting at least one of the criteria below:
- If a household member has an income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- If a household member participates in specific government assistance programs, including:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit Fund
- Participates in Tribal specific programs, such as:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal TANF
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- A household member benefits under the school breakfast program or the free and reduced-price school lunch program, including the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020, 2020-2021, or 2021-2022 school year.
- A beneficiary of a Federal Pell Grant on the current award year.
- Attains the eligibility criteria for a participating provider existing low-income program.
Additionally, to qualify for the ACP from any provider, you must live in one of the states where a provider provides its services. Check out the cell phone plans with free phones if you don’t qualify for a free smartphone from government-supported programs like ACP and Lifeline.
What Documents Do I Have When Applying For Tracfone ACP?
i) Qualifying Through Assistance Program Participation
If you participate in qualifying programs, use a letter or official document as proof. The documentation must include:
- Your or dependent’s full names
- The qualifying program, such as Medicaid
- The name of the government, program administrator, school, Tribal entity, school district, college, or university that provided the document.
- For USDA Community Eligibility Provision (CEP), documents must indicate that the student participates in a CEP School for 2021-2022, 2020-2021, or 2019-2020, 2020-2021 academic years.
- Issue date for the last 12 months or a future expiration date
- For the School Breakfast Program or Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program, including U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools, a certificate can be the 2019-20, 2020-21, or 2021-22 academic year.
- The acceptable documentation features a report card that indicates the student’s name and the school name or a letter showing that the student is in the CEP school.
- For Federal Pell Grants, documents must be from the current school year and can comprise screenshots of a StudentAid.gov dashboard
You can submit the following documents:
- Benefit award letter
- Approval letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit verification letter
ii) Household Income Participation
If you qualify for Tracfone ACP through your income, you must provide a document that proves that your annual income is equal to or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The documentation must include your annual income and your or dependent’s first and last name
- Prior year’s federal, state, or Tribal tax return
- Latest income statement from your employer or a paycheck stub
- Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation statement of benefits
- Social Security statement of benefits
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Child support award, divorce decree, or a similar official document showing your income
- A retirement/pension statement of benefits
iii) Identity Verification Documentation
The documentation about your identity must include your first and last name, plus your date of birth.
- Valid military, government, state, or Tribal ID
- Birth Certificate
- U.S. Driver’s license
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
- Government-aided program certification
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) form (does not have to include the date of birth)
You must not be below 18 years to apply in the ACP on your own unless you are an emancipated minor.
Documentation Must Feature:
- Confirmation of emancipated minor status
- Your first and last name
- Documents include:
- Court document
- Certificate of emancipation
iv) Address Documentations
The documentation about your address must include the first and last name, plus your physical address. To confirm your address through the online application, you will utilize the online mapping tool in the application to assist USAC to find your address.
However, if you opt to mail in documentation, you can send a map that indicates your physical address or location, with latitude and longitude coordinates (coordinates are required if you reside on Tribal lands)
Other Documentation Options Include:
- Driver’s license or other authorized government, state, or Tribal ID
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Utility bill
- Most recent W-2 or tax return
Can I Keep My Own Phone To Tracfone?
TracFone operates on the three major networks, and you can receive Tracfone service on your current phone provided it is compatible. Before switching service and keeping your own phone (KYOP) to TracFone, ensure your current cell phone is among the Tracfone compatible phones. If it is, buy an activation kit from TracFone’s website. Immediately you get it in the mail, insert it into your cell phone, and activate it.
Some of the compatible phones include:
- T-Mobile-compatible phones,
- Verizon-compatible phones
- GSM Unlocked phones,
- AT&T-compatible phones,
- Some CDMA Technology compatible phones
Moreover, to activate your KYOP (BYOP) device:
- Open Tracfone website.
- Proceed to the Activate tab.
- Follow the instructions.
Suppose you require any additional assistance, contact Customer Care Center at 1-800-867-7183. Notably, you will require a Tracfone service plan or a credit/debit card to activate your service.
How Do I Activate Your KYOP on a TracFone Plan
Immediately you get your TracFone SIM and activation pack; you’ll get an Activation Card inside, which features step-by-step instructions on getting your service up and running. Alternatively, you can also get activation by phone by calling 1-800-867-7183.
Most importantly, online activation is the most preferred option by many customers. You need to proceed to the KYOP page and choose ‘Activation’ from the top menu. Then, you will see two options: ‘Activate GSM’ (choose this if your cell phone is from T-Mobile or AT&T) and ‘Activate CDMA’ (choose this for all other carriers).
However, whichever option you choose, you’ll get directed to a new page with different activation options. And, assuming you don’t have a Tracfone account you want to replace, you’ll need to choose either ‘Transfer My Phone Number from Another Company ‘or ‘Activate with A New Number. ‘After successful activation, you will get the best Tracfone deals for customers joining this carrier network. These deals give huge discounts on cell phones and cell phone plans.
Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) and qualified wireless providers like Tracfone offer discounts on broadband access to eligible households. This federal benefits program is available to individuals participating in a qualifying government program or who qualify based on their household income.
However, one benefit per household is allowed, and a household cannot apply for ACP benefits from multiple providers. ACP benefit is not transferable, and you must notify Tracfone within thirty (30) days if you no longer qualify to receive the ACP benefit.