Many reasons may force you to change carriers. However, switching from one wireless carrier to another needs to be strategically planned. However, if you’re wondering how to switch from AT&T to Verizon, this guideline will clear the air. Ensure that you switch a few days before your monthly data cycle ends. If you have an AT&T contract, you may have to wait until it ends to avoid early termination fees.
Moreover, AT&T Wireless customers switching to Verizon Wireless now have two options to choose from. If you do not want to keep your existing cell phone number, you can activate a new service line with Verizon then inform AT&T to cancel your old service. You’ll be able to take your current cell phone and number. Notably, you don’t cancel your old plan until you’ve successfully transferred your phone number to Verizon’s network.
Above all, you may switch from AT&T to Verizon to have better coverage and lower prices. If AT&T doesn’t have coverage in your area, or if you’re paying expensively for your AT&T plan, switching to Verizon would be the sound decision to enjoy free phone when you switch, based on where you live. You can only keep your AT&T wireless number if the number is eligible for local number portability.
Quick Tips for Easy Switch
- Don’t terminate your current service before switching to Verizon.
- Have your current bill settle; you need to have your account number.
- Cross-check your contract with your existing provider for any obligations you may have, like an early termination fee.
- Avail an alternate contact number for emergencies in case your transfer takes longer than expected.
However, your old phone will operate during the transfer process, while your new Verizon Wireless phone will make but not receive phone calls. Wireless numbers take 4-24 hours to complete the transfer, while landline numbers can take 2-10 business days.
When the process gets done, you will get a notification-free text to alert you when you’re good to go. If your new cell phone doesn’t function after the transfer time, you can contact 888.844.7095 using another phone, and the Port Center will assist you.
How to Switch From AT&T to Verizon?
1) Using a New Number
Go to a Verizon retail store or visit the Verizon website at Verizonwireless.com to choose a cellular phone and calling plan. You can also look for Verizon low-income internet if you qualify for lifeline benefits.
Avail the required information to Verizon for checking your eligibility to get service. The information includes your Social Security number and current address for checking your creditworthiness.
After activating the service with Verizon, you need to contact AT&T to cancel your service. You can reach AT&T customer service using (800) 331-0500 or dialing 611 from your AT&T cell phone.
2) Using an Existing Number
Confirm if your AT&T number is eligible for transfer to Verizon using a web browser. Navigate to the Verizon, Keep Your Number, input the AT&T number and click “Check Eligibility.”
If your number gets approval, proceed to the next step. If your number is not approved, you can contact Verizon at (800) 922-0204 for further help.
Go to “Start Shopping” under New Customers at the Verizon website that shows you the number put is eligible for transfer. Choose a cellular phone and calling plan for your new line of service.
You can visit a Verizon retail store to choose your phone and calling plan. When in the retail store, you need to notify the salesperson that you want to transfer your current AT&T number to Verizon.
Submit the required information to Verizon to check your creditworthiness. These details include your Social Security number and current address. Activate service with Verizon.
By moving your number from AT&T to Verizon, your service with AT&T gets automatically canceled. You can reach out to AT&T after the number gets transferred to ensure your line of service has been canceled.
Before You Transfer Your Number to Verizon:
- Ensure it is unlocked with your current service provider.
- Get a Verizon SIM or e-SIM for it to function on the Verizon network.
- Avail of the required information.
When Transferring Your Number To Verizon, Provide The Following Information:
- The current active number that you wish to transfer to Verizon
- Your old service provider account number as it reads on your bill
- Notably, if you’re requesting your number transferred in person, you need to bring your most recent bill.
- A PIN or Password- Any additional level of security added to your account. It is necessary to complete your number transfer; plus, it is not the same number usable in signing in to My Verizon.
- You need an alternative phone number to contact you during the transfer process, apart from the number being transferred to Verizon.
You should note that giving incorrect information delays the transfer process since a Customer Service Representative will have to contact you to get the correct details. If you require more time to look for some missing information, you can still start the transfer process and choose the latter transfer option.
3) Through Bring Your Own Phone
This company offers Verizon phone deals for existing customers and several other deals when you switch from AT&T to their network. For instance, you can receive $300 when you switch, or $250 if you bring your existing phone to the Verizon network. You can even receive an extra $100 if you bring your own tablet to their network.
Most importantly, you need to identify the Verizon plan you want before switching and ensuring that your phone gets unlocked if you wish to bring your own phone to Verizon’s network.
AT&T will unlock your device if you meet the following requirements:
- Your phone is not associated with fraud or theft.
- No past due balances.
- The phone is not active using another account.
- If you possess a business device with a two-year contract, you must wait at least 30 days before applying.
- AT&T prepaid phones remain active for at least six months.
- You’ll require your workplace’s permission if a business owns the device.
If your phone is one of Verizon compatible phones, you’ll then proceed to unlock it before you switch to Verizon. You can go to AT&T device unlock and follow the “Unlock your device” instructions. You’ll require to fill out some online forms, but your phone will generally get unlocked within two working days.
How To Check Verizon Compatibility
After your phone gets unlocked, you should confirm that your AT&T phone is compatible with Verizon’s network. Verizon makes the process to check your compatibility easy using their web tool. However, to succeed, you need to have your phone’s IMEI number.
An IMEI number, also known as international mobile equipment identity, represents a 15-digit number that enables you to check your network compatibility.
Find IMEI On Android
You can find your unique IMEI number on an Android device by flipping down from the top of your screen and touch the gear icon to access your Settings. Scroll down until you see About phone. From here, you can see your 15-digit IMEI number.
Check IMEI On iPhone.
On an iPhone, you can locate your IMEI number by going to Settings, then General and, about.
4) Switch Through Trade-ins
This carrier provides Verizon iphone deals for existing customers and a range of trade-in options to enable you to switch to this giant carrier. The deal applies by Verizon offering you trade-in credit for your current phone, and that amount is put towards paying your early termination fee involved with that line or phone.
However, if the trade-in doesn’t cater fully to the cost of switching, Verizon will cover the difference. You can get up to $650 when you switch your number from any postpaid wireless carrier to Verizon, and trade in your current phone, plus, activate a new 4G LTE smartphone bought on the device payment plan.
However, device trade-in must get completed before registering for the promotion at Verizon wireless switch, and your trade-in phone must have a fair market value greater than $0. Additionally, the trade-in phone must be in good working condition in that;
- Phone can turn on and off
- LCD screen cracks free and functioning correctly
- Phone and ports are free of visible corrosion and water damage
- Battery is working
- Phone and charging systems are free of cracks and dents and doesn’t lack any pieces or chunks
- For Apple iPhones running iOS7 or higher, the Find My iPhone feature must get deactivated or turned off
If you are a new customer eyeing to join the Verizon network, you can easily make a switch and enjoy many privileges, including a free phone. You can switch with a new number, trade in your current phone, bring your own phone or transfer an existing number from another carrier such as AT&T. The process is straightforward, as discussed in this article, and the exciting part is that you don’t incur any charges when switching from AT&T to Verizon.