You can get a Boost Mobile government phone if you meet a few requirements, as we shall see. Boost Mobile is a prepaid wireless mobile phone service provider in the United States. It is owned by Dish Wireless and uses the Dish, AT&T, and T-Mobile networks to deliver wireless services. Boost Mobile offers various prepaid plans, including unlimited talk and text, data plans ranging from 2GB to unlimited data, and international calling plans.
The company has partnered with the United States government to offer free phones to low-income households through the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), funded by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The ACP gives you a monthly discount of up to $30 on broadband service for eligible households. Boost Mobile is one of the participating carriers in the ACP program, and they offer a variety of free phones to eligible customers. ACP also offers discounts of up to $100 to purchase devices such as desktops, laptops, or tablets.
You must meet particular income requirements to be eligible for the ACP program. You can check your eligibility online at ACPBenefit.org. If you are eligible, you can apply for the program through Boost Mobile or by calling the ACP Support Center at (877) 384-2575. The free phones that Boost Mobile offers through the ACP program are typically basic. However, they do offer some smartphones as well. The specific phones that are available may vary depending on your location. Boost Mobile free phones are advantageous as they allow you to get free internet every month.
How to Apply for a Boost Mobile Government Phone
There are various steps you must follow when applying for Boost Mobile. First, you must check if you are eligible for the program. As mentioned earlier, you can check your eligibility online at ACPBenefit.org. If you are eligible, you can apply for the program through Boost Mobile or by contacting the ACP Support Center at (877) 384-2575.
Once you verify your eligibility, you can apply by following the steps below.
- Go to the Boost Mobile website and click the “Lifeline” tab.
- Fill out the form online, then submit it.
- You must provide proof of eligibility, such as a government-issued ID or proof of participation in a government assistance program.
- Once your application is verified, you can choose a free phone from the list of available phones.
- By mail
- Download the Boost Mobile Lifeline application form and mail it to the address provided on the form.
- You must provide the same information as you would for the online application.
- Once your application is verified, you can choose a free phone from the list of available phones.
- Via service provider
Visit a Boost Mobile store and speak to a representative about the Lifeline program.
The representative will assist you in finishing the application and choosing a free phone.
You must have the following documents when applying for a free government phone.
- Government-issued ID: This can be a driver’s license, passport, or other government-issued ID that shows your name, date of birth, and address.
- Proof of participation in a government assistance program: This can be a letter from your state or federal government agency that shows that you are receiving benefits, such as SNAP, TANF, or SSI.
- Proof of income: This may be a recent pay stub, tax return, or other document that shows your income.
Boost Phone Options and Features
There are various phone options you can get through the company. They include the following.
- Basic phones: These simple phones offer basic features, such as calling, texting, and FM radio. Some basic phones also have cameras and other features. The following are basic free phones you can get from Boost.
- Alcatel Go Flip 4
- LG Journey
- Kyocera DuraXV LTE
- Samsung SPH-M390
- Smartphones: These phones offer more advanced features, such as internet browsing, apps, and games. Smartphones typically have larger screens and more powerful processors than basic phones. The following models are available for free if you qualify.
- Apple iPhone 13 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Google Pixel 6 Pro
- Motorola Edge+
- OnePlus 10 Pro
When giving out free government phones, some special considerations exist for seniors and individuals with disabilities when choosing a mobile phone plan. They include the following.
- Larger fonts and buttons: Many seniors and individuals with disabilities have difficulty seeing or using small buttons and fonts on phones. Look for a phone with large fonts and buttons that are easy to read and press.
- Voice-activated controls: Voice-activated controls can be an excellent way for seniors and individuals with disabilities to control their phones without using their hands. Look for a phone with voice-activated controls that are easy to use.
- Hearing aid compatibility: Some phones are compatible, which means they can be used with hearing aids. It can be crucial for seniors and individuals with hearing loss.
- Emergency buttons: Many phones have buttons that can be used to call for help in an emergency. Again, it can be a valuable feature for seniors and individuals with disabilities.
- Accessibility features: Many phones have accessibility features that can be customized to attain the needs of seniors and individuals with disabilities. These features can include things like screen readers, magnification, and text-to-speech.
Boost Mobile Plans and Services
Some of the plans and services offered by Boost Mobile include the following.
- Prepaid plans: Boost Mobile offers a variety of prepaid plans, so you can choose the plan that best suits your needs. Data plans start at 2GB and go up to unlimited data. Prepaid plans do not require a contract so you can cancel your service anytime.
- Postpaid plans: Boost Mobile also offers postpaid plans requiring a contract. Postpaid plans offer more features and benefits, such as free phones and international calling.
- Family plans: Boost Mobile offers family plans, which allow you to save money by bundling your service with other family members. Family plans typically offer more data and minutes than individual plans.
- Unlimited plans: Boost Mobile offers a variety of unlimited plans, so you can choose the plan that best suits your needs. Unlimited plans allow you to talk, text, and use data as much as you want without worrying about your minutes or data running out.
- International calling: The company offers international calling plans to stay linked with friends and family overseas. International calling plans typically offer discounted rates for calling certain countries.
- Mobile hotspot: Some Boost Mobile phones have a feature that lets you share your phone’s data connection with other devices. That can be useful if you need to link a laptop or tablet to the internet while on the go.
Other services From Boost Mobile
Boost Mobile offers various other services, such as device protection, visual voicemail, and caller ID.
Lifeline Program and Subsidies
Even though Boost Mobile offers free government phones through the Affordable Connectivity Program, other service providers offer free phones through Lifeline. Lifeline is a government program that provides discounted or free phone service to low-income consumers. The Universal Service Fund does Lifeline funding, a surcharge added to phone bills nationwide.
To be eligible for Lifeline, you must meet specific income requirements. You can check your qualification online at the Lifeline Support website. You can apply for Lifeline through your current wireless carrier or a Lifeline-approved provider if eligible. Once approved for Lifeline, you will receive a discount on your phone bill. The bill discount can be up to $9.25 per month. You can use Lifeline to pay for various phone services, including talk, text, and data.
How to qualify for Lifeline
To qualify for Lifeline, you must meet specific income requirements. You can check your qualification online at the Lifeline Support website. Below are the eligibility requirements for Lifeline.
- Income: Your household income must be within 135% or lower of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Participation in a government assistance program: You must participate in one of the below government assistance programs.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Is there a cost associated with the government phone service?
There is no cost to apply for Lifeline. However, there may be a one-time activation fee charged by your wireless carrier. The activation fee typically ranges from $10 to $30.
What happens if I lose my Boost Mobile Government Phone?
If you lose your Boost Mobile government phone, you must report it lost or stolen to Boost Mobile. You can do this by calling Boost Mobile customer service at 1-833-50-BOOST (1-833-502-6678) or visiting their website and submitting a lost or stolen device report.
Can I switch plans or carriers after receiving a government phone?
Yes, you can switch plans or carriers after receiving a government phone. However, you must cancel your Lifeline service with your current carrier before switching to a new carrier.
Are Boost Mobile Government Phones available in all states?
Yes, Boost Mobile government phones are available in all states. However, the availability of specific phones may vary depending on your location.
Can I use the government phone for international calls?
Yes, you can use the government phone for international calls. However, you may not use the free Boost Mobile plan from the government for free.
How can I report issues or problems with my government-issued phone?
If you have issues or problems with your government-issued phone, you can report them to your carrier online, via phone, or by mail.
Boost Mobile offers free phones through the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). ACP is a government program that discounts internet and phone service to low-income consumers. Boost Mobile is one of the participating carriers in the ACP program, and they offer a variety of free government phones to eligible consumers. If you are eligible for ACP, you can apply for a free government phone from Boost Mobile. Once approved for a free government phone, you can choose one from a list of available phones.