Indiana is a state located in the Midwestern and Great Lakes regions of the United States. It borders Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois. The capital and largest city of the state is Indianapolis. The state estimated population of Indiana is approximately 6.8 million people per the last census. Within that population, we have people who cannot afford tablets. You will learn how to obtain a free government tablet Indiana.
The federal government usually issues free tablets to eligible households and individuals via the Affordable Connectivity Program, abbreviated as ACP. The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is a government program that provides discounts on broadband internet service and connected devices to eligible households. The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act brought the program to life and is administered by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Eligible homes can get a discount of up to $30 monthly on broadband internet service. Households on qualifying Tribal lands can receive a monthly discount of up to $75. Eligible households can also obtain a one-time discount of up to $100 to acquire a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer from participating providers. You can get a free tablet through various service providers with a $100 discount.
How to qualify for a free government tablet in Indiana
To be eligible for the ACP free tablet, households must meet specific income requirements. They must also meet one of the following criteria:
- Receive a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
- Meet the eligibility process for a participating provider’s existing low-income internet program.
- Participate in one of the following assistance programs.
- Free School Breakfast Programs and Reduced-Price School Lunch Programs or including in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Housing assistance
- Low-income veterans’ benefits
Documents needed for ACP free tablet application
The documents needed for an ACP free tablet application vary depending on the provider. However, some standard documents that may be required include:
- Proof of identity: That can be a government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate.
- Proof of address: That may be a utility bill, lease agreement, or other document that shows your current address.
- Proof of income: This could be a tax return, pay stubs, or other document that shows your household income.
- Proof of participation in an eligible government assistance program: This could be an award letter, benefit card, or other documents that show you are enrolled in a program such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline.
In addition to these documents, some providers may require additional information, such as your Social Security number or date of birth. You can contact your provider to find out what documents your application requires.
Once you have gathered the required documents, you can apply for an ACP-free tablet online or through your provider. The application process is usually straightforward. Once your application is approved, you will be eligible to receive a free tablet from your provider.
How to apply for ACP-free tablets in Indiana
Similar to other states, there are three ways to apply for the ACP in Indiana. They include the following.
- Online: You can apply online at the ACP website: https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply/.
Below are the steps on how to apply for free ACP online:
- Go to the ACP website: https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply/.
- Click on the “Apply Online” button.
- Create an account or sign in to your existing account.
- Answer the questions on the application form.
- Attach any required documentation.
- Submit your application.
- By mail: You can download a mail-in application from the ACP website: https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply/ and mail it to the address provided.
Here are the steps on how to apply for free ACP by mail:
- Download the mail-in application from the ACP website: https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply/.
- Fill out the application form and attach any required documentation.
- Mail the application to the address provided.
- Via your internet service provider: You can contact your provider to see if they offer ACP and how to apply.
You can follow the steps below on how to apply for free ACP through your internet service provider:
- Contact your internet service provider to see if they offer ACP.
- Ask them how to apply for ACP through their company.
- Follow the instructions offered by your internet service provider.
- Once you have applied for ACP, you will be notified of your eligibility within 30 days. If approved, you can receive a discount on your internet service and a one-time discount to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet.
Free tablet providers in Indiana
Various ACP service providers offer free tablets via the program. Here are some free tablet providers in Indiana that offer Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP):
- AT&T: AT&T offers eligible households a free tablet with a one-year data plan.
- Cricket Wireless: Cricket Wireless offers eligible households a free tablet with a one-year data plan.
- Metro by T-Mobile: Metro by T-Mobile offers eligible households a free tablet with a one-year data plan.
- Moolah Wireless: Moolah Wireless offers eligible households a free tablet with a one-year data plan.
- Safelink Wireless: Safelink Wireless offers eligible households a free tablet with a one-year data plan.
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile offers eligible households a free tablet with a one-year data plan.
- Tracfone: Tracfone offers eligible households a free tablet with a one-year data plan.
ACP program rules
There are various rules you must follow to enjoy the ACP program. They include the following.
- You should only transfer the program benefits to yourself, even if they qualify for ACP.
- You must recertify once a year to prove that you are still eligible.
- Only one discount is allowed per household.
- One should use their program benefits, or they risk losing it. You should at least send messages, use data or make calls.
- You should never give false information to benefit from the ACP program.
You must be eligible for the ACP to get a free government tablet in Indiana. You can apply for the ACP online, by mail, or through your internet service provider. If approved for the ACPl receive a one-time discount of at most $100 to purchase a tablet from a participating provider. You can choose from various tablet models, depending on the provider.