If you qualify for specific programs, you might get a free eSIM from the government. An eSIM (also known as embedded SIM) is a digital SIM that allows one to use a cellular plan from their carrier without a physical nano-SIM. It is a small chip embedded in your device and can be programmed with a cellular plan. It means you can activate a plan without inserting a physical SIM card.
eSIMs offer several advantages over ordinary SIM cards. They are long-lasting and cannot be damaged or lost. They also use less space, which can be helpful for devices with limited storage. Additionally, the SIMs can activate multiple plans on the same device, which can be helpful for persons who travel frequently or need to have two phone numbers for work and personal use.
eSIMs are becoming increasingly popular as more and more devices will be supporting them in the near future. If you want a new device, check whether it supports eSIMs. That could save you the hassle of carrying around a physical SIM card. The only disadvantage of SIMs is that only a few devices support them and are expensive, making them unaffordable to ordinary citizens. That is why this article seeks to show you how you can obtain an eSIM for free.
How to get free government eSIM
We have a few methods to obtain a free government eSIM. One way is to apply for the Lifeline Assistance program. Lifeline is a government aid program that provides free or discounted telecommunications services to low-income individuals and families. To qualify for Lifeline, you must meet certain income and resource requirements. You can apply for Lifeline online or by mail.
Another way to get a free government eSIM is to participate in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). ACP is a federal program that discounts broadband internet and cell phone service to eligible households. Your household income must be at a certain level to qualify for ACP. Once approved for Lifeline or ACP, you can contact a participating carrier to request a free eSIM.
Qualifications for getting free eSIM
To qualify for a free eSIM from the government, you only need to qualify for Lifeline or Affordable Connectivity Program. The Lifeline Assistance Program and the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) are both government programs that provide discounted telecommunications services to low-income individuals and families. You can qualify in the following manner.
To qualify for Lifeline, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have an income at 135% or lower of the federal poverty guidelines
- Participate in specific federal assistance programs, such as Medicaid, SNAP, or WIC
- Be a member of a household that receives housing assistance from the government
- Be a veteran or a person with a disability
2) ACP Program
To qualify for ACP, your household income must be 200% or lower of the federal poverty level. You can also qualify for ACP if you participate in specific federal assistance programs, such as Medicaid, SNAP, or WIC.
In addition to income and resource requirements, you must be a USA citizen or a permanent resident by law to qualify for either Lifeline or ACP.
Applying process for eSIM from government
The process for applying for a free eSIM varies depending on the carrier. However, there are some guidelines that you can follow. They include the following.
- Check if your device is eligible. Not all devices support eSIMs. To check if your device is eligible, you can contact your carrier or search for your device’s model number online.
- Find a participating carrier. Not all carriers offer free eSIMs. You can search online or contact your current carrier to find a participating carrier.
- Visit the carrier’s website or call their customer service line. Once you have found a participating carrier, visit their website or contact customer service support to begin the application process.
- Provide your information. The carrier will ask you to provide information, such as your official name, physical address, and income. They may also need you to verify your eligibility for a free eSIM.
- Have your eSIM activated. Once your eligibility has been verified, the carrier will activate your free eSIM.
Once your eSIM has been activated, you can connect to the internet and make calls and texts.
The cellular providers that provide free eSIM service
Various service providers offer free eSIM services. They include the following.
- Assurance Wireless
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
- California Lifeline
- Cricket Wireless
- Life Wireless
- SafeLink Wireless
- US Mobile
- Verizon Wireless
Best free eSIM data plan
Various companies offer impressive free eSIM data plans. They include the following.
- Google Fi: Google Fi offers a free 7-day trial of its unlimited talk, text, and data plan. This plan includes 10 GB of high-speed data, after which speeds are reduced.
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile offers a free 30-day trial of its Magenta plan. This plan includes 5 GB of high-speed data, after which speeds are reduced.
- Visible: Visible offers a free 15-day trial of unlimited talk, text, and data plans. This plan includes unlimited data at 4G LTE speeds.
- Airalo: Airalo offers a free 500MB of data for use in select countries. This plan is valid for 30 days.
- Holafly: Holafly offers a free 1 GB of data for use in select countries. This plan is valid for 7 days.
Free eSIM or code activation process
There are a few options that can activate an eSIM. One way is to utilize a QR code. Your carrier should provide a QR code to scan with your device’s camera. That will automatically download the eSIM profile to your device.
Another way to activate an eSIM is to enter an activation code. The carrier will provide an activation code to enter your device’s settings. That will also download the eSIM profile to your device. You should contact your carrier for assistance if you need help with the activation process.
To get a free government eSIM, you can apply for the Lifeline Assistance Program or the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Once approved for either program, you can request a free eSIM from a participating carrier. Participating carriers include Assurance Wireless, Cricket Wireless, Life Wireless, and SafeLink Wireless. When you contact a participating carrier, they will ask you to give some details to verify your eligibility for Lifeline or ACP. Once your eligibility has been verified, the carrier will activate your free eSIM.