A tablet is an electronic device that appears like a big phone. Most tablets allow you to communicate through a cellular network since they allow you to insert a SIM card. The cellular network lets you make calls, send messages, and access the internet. With such a tablet, you may not need a phone. By the way, tablets operate with operating systems such as Android, iOS, and Microsoft. You will learn about the process of getting a Lifeline-free tablet.
Tablets are costly devices, and people from low-income households can find it challenging to acquire them. To get a quality tablet, you must spend at least $200, which is a lot of money. Since the devices are crucial, the government has a program that gives highly discounted tablets to low-income families through various service providers. With just $10, you can get a government tablet and enjoy various services.
Apart from the government, non-governmental organizations offer free tablets to eligible people. Usually, they target school-going children and college students. Examples of such NGOs include Computer Technology Support Corps, Salvation Army, Adaptive.org, and Everybody, among others. You will learn how to qualify for a free tablet from the government or non-governmental organizations.
Best ways to get a Lifeline-free tablet
Lifeline is a federal assistance program that gives low-income families free phones, texts, voice call minutes, and internet. The program management works with various cell phone service providers to provide free services and phones.
There are various ways you can get a free tablet through Lifeline. These include the following.
1. Through the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP).
The ACP program is a federal benefit program that allows you to get discounted broadband. You can also get a discount to purchase a tablet, desktop computer, or laptop. You must qualify for the benefits program, and Lifeline is among the programs that allow you to qualify for ACP.
2. Via a dependent
If you have a person in your home who participates in Lifeline, you can apply for ACP and get a free phone.
3. Through various non-governmental organizations
As mentioned above, you can get a free tablet through non-governmental organizations. The organizations confirm your eligibility through Lifeline and other assistance programs.
Qualifications for a free tablet with the Lifeline program
To get a free tablet, you must qualify for the ACP program. Lifeline allows you to qualify for ACP, which eventually allows you to get a free tablet through your service provider. Again, to get Lifeline services, you must qualify through various benefit programs. These include the following.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
The above assistance programs also allow you to qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program. You may also qualify for ACP through the following ways.
- Received a Federal Pell Grant within the current award year
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating service provider’s existing low-income internet program
- Has income at 200% or below the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Documentations for Lifeline free tablet & phone
To qualify for a free tablet using Lifeline, you must produce various documentation. First, you should have a document showing that you are a beneficiary of Lifeline. You can bring any of the following.
- Approval letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit award letter
- Benefit verification letter
- School documentation
To qualify through income, you can bring any of the following documents.
- Previous year’s federal, state, or Tribal tax return
- Income statement from your current employer or a paycheck stub
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- A Social Security statement of benefits
- A retirement/pension statement of benefits
- Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation statement of benefits
- Child support award, divorce decree, or a similar official document showing your income
You also need to bring identification documents when applying for ACP. They include the following.
- Military, state, government, or Tribal ID
- Birth Certificate
- Government assistance program document
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
- U.S. Driver’s license
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
Documents to prove your address include the following.
- Driver’s license or other legal government, state, or Tribal ID
- Utility bill
- Most recent W-2 or tax return
- Mortgage or lease statement
Applications for Lifeline free tablet
Suppose you have all the documents for the Affordable Connectivity Program. In that case, you can apply through various means to get a free tablet. You can apply the following ways.
- Apply online at AffordableConnectivity.gov, submit your application, and upload all the necessary documents.
- Apply by mail by downloading and filling out the necessary ACP form, then attaching the necessary documents and sending them to ACP Support Center, PO Box 7081. London, KY 40742.
- Apply through your service provider’s website and upload the necessary documents.
Broadband Providers That Offer Free Tablets Under the Lifeline Program
Various service providers offer free tablets through ACP if you qualify by Lifeline or other applicable benefit programs. They include the following.
1. Qlink Wireless
Q Link proudly offers ACP subscribers a new Tablet with free and unlimited cell phone service under their network. The Tablet offer varies by state. The carrier also offers Lifeline services.
2. StandUp Wireless
The ACP program allows the qualifying person to claim a one-time discount of up to $100 on particular devices. The FCC requires the company to charge you at least $10.01 to give you the free tablet.
3. Assurance Wireless
The carrier gives you a free tablet when you qualify for the ACP program. You can also receive a free government phone if you qualify and apply for Lifeline.
Benefits of Lifeline programs that you want
There are several benefits if you qualify for ACP through Lifeline or other applicable programs. These include the following.
- Discounted broadband
- Some service providers combine ACP with Lifeline to offer you a free phone plus tablet.
- Connection to cheap healthcare services.
- Links to jobs.
- Subsidy to purchase a laptop or computer.
A tablet allows you to carry out various activities. Most tablets allow you to communicate with others just as you can with a phone since they allow you to insert a SIM card for calls, texts, and cellular internet access. However, the devices are expensive, and most people cannot afford them. The federal government offers free tablets to eligible persons through various service providers.