Straight TalkTalk is a mobile virtual network operator that uses other carriers. However, if you ask if a straight talk sim card will work in an AT&T phone, you will get answers shortly on this guideline. On the other hand, AT&T’s cell phones function on a GSM-based network meaning the carrier can work with numerous other carriers. In this case, the cell phone needs to be unlocked first.
If your Straight Talk SIM is meant for AT&T’s network, the cell phone does not have to be unlocked, but if the sim is for Verizon or T-Mobile, then the device must get unlocked. Another option is to reach out to Straight Talk and ask them to move your number to AT&T’s network. Having more than 150 million customers, AT&T ranks as one of the biggest wireless service providers worldwide.
Moreover, if you purchase or lease a cell phone from Straight Talk, it will be locked to use only the Straight Talk network. Besides, you can request an unlock after 12-months of service. Consequently, it can be better to bring an unlocked mobile phone to this carrier, especially Straight Talk compatible phones, if you’re not sure if Straight Talk will serve you well or not.
About Straight Talk Wireless
Straight Talk Wireless is among the budget wireless providers in the US, with over 25 million subscribing to the no-contract service. Apart from their affordable, prepaid Straight Talk plans, this carrier also sells devices you can buy in full or lease via a payment plan.
Most importantly, unlike other prepaid carriers, Straight Talk enables you to choose your preferred network from any giant carriers such as AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. In return, you can bring locked cell phones from any other networks to Straight Talk too.
Additionally, Straight Talk features no contracts locking you down, and it allows you to leave or switch plans at will. The company can keep its prices low since it operates using existing cell towers from the three major telecommunication companies. You can utilize a locked AT&T phone on straight Talk, provided you use an AT&T-compatible Straight Talk SIM card.
Can You Use an AT&T Phone with Straight Talk Sim Card?
If you buy a device from AT&T using the 24 months’ repayment option, it comes locked to the AT&T network until you finish paying off the device or other related service charges. For this reason, most customers don’t want to get locked into a cell phone plan contract by AT&T, hence looking for ways to use a Straight Talk Sim Card on AT&T while they’re still paying for their devices.
However, this compatibility between the two carriers makes it unnecessary to use any of AT&T’s plans, even if your cell phone is locked for only that specific network. What you need to do is to purchase an AT&T compatible Straight Talk SIM card from Straight Talk’s website or Walmart, insert into your sim card into AT&T compatible phones, and start enjoying any of straight Talk’s services.
Does Straight Talk Support BYOP from AT&T?
Straight Talk’s Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program allows bringing any locked cell phone on board, provided it’s from the four networks. However, for a successful transition, you must buy a sim card compatible with your locked network.
Currently, Straight Talk operates primarily using AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. If you are bringing a cell phone from any of these carriers to use with Straight Talk Plans, you’ll require a straight talk compatible sim card from any of the three networks above.
How to Get a Straight Talk Unlock Code?
Straight Talk offers an unlock code if you purchased the cell phone from them and meet the unlocking criteria discussed above. To receive the Straight Talk network, unlock code, follow the below steps:
Reach out to Straight Talk customer care on 877-430-2355 any day from 8 a.m to 11:45 p.m.
Submit the unlock code request. The customer care agent will ascertain if you’ve met all the requirements. Most importantly, only GSM devices that function using SIM cards can get unlocked this way.
The customer support representative will offer you a 10-15 digits unlocking code. List it down as you’ll use it when unlocking your cell phone.
How Do You Unlock a Straight Talk Phone?
However, if you buy a device from the best straight talk phones, it’s locked to a GSM network like T-Mobile or AT&T. But, you can unlock a Straight Talk cell phone, but you must fulfill the following requirements:
- You must request the unlock. Straight Talk will not do it automatically.
- Customers must have their device active for 12 more or more and have services in no fewer than 12 months.
- Must submit an unlocking request when your service is active or within a 60-day grace period after active service expires.
- Must have a Straight Talk or TracFone branded device launched after February 2014 and activated after February 2015.
- You must possess a device that is in good working condition
- Cell phones must not have been reported stolen, lost, or involved with fraudulent activity.
- The cell phone number must not have been ported or recycled.
- Can only exercise this program once every 12 months
- An exception apply for deployed military personnel
If you comply with the above criteria and Straight Talk can’t unlock your phone, they will give you a partial reimbursement depending on the value of your device.
However, if you have been recruited to the military, Straight Talk will honor your unlock request provided you give the deployment papers and your cell phone is not blocked. In this case, you don’t have to meet the rest of the requirements.
Unlocking Straight Talk Phone
Immediately you receive the code; you can now unlock your device. Proceed and do the following;
- Switch off your phone and eject the Straight Talk SIM card.
- Input the new carrier’s SIM card into the slot and switch on the cell phone.
- You will get a notification that the cell phone is required to be unlocked first to utilize the new SIM card. Input the code you received from Straight Talk and tap unlock.
- You’ll get a confirmation message telling you that the code has been accepted and unlocked your phone. You can then utilize your cell phone on the new carrier.
Notably, you will know if your phone is unlocked if you can send texts, make calls, and carry out every task with the new SIM card. Alternatively, you can utilize third-party services that use your phone’s IMEI number to confirm if it’s unlocked.
On the other hand, customers who can’t unlock their devices can receive credit or a partial refund when buying a new Straight Talk phone. However, they must also attain the requirements needed for unlocking.
How Do You Unlock AT&T Phone?
AT&T’s cell phones operate using GSM-based technology, which means it can often work with T-Mobile and other compatible carriers around the globe. Besides, unlocking your AT&T cell phone allows you to switch to prepaid and MVNO brands such as Straight Talk, AT&T Prepaid, Cricket, TracFone, Net10, Consumer Cellular, and FreedomPop.
You Can Unlock Your AT&T under the Following Conditions:
- If it’s an AT&T cell phone or device and isn’t active on another AT&T account.
- Have fully paid off the device installment plan.
- Paid using your monthly bill: Submit your unlock request at the beginning of your next bill cycle.
- Paid off early: The wireless number given to the device must be active for at least two months. Wait 48 hours after you place your final payment for submitting your unlock request.
- Your device doesn’t have a past-due account balance. You can pay to bring your account current, and it will take 24 hours for your payment to reflect.
- The device hasn’t been reported as stolen, lost, or engaged in fraud.
- If the device is an AT&T prepaid cell phone with paid service for at least 6 months
If you meet all the above prerequisites, you can submit a request to unlock your device and AT&T activate a new phone to enjoy services from any carrier of your choice. You can proceed to AT&T’s website to unlock your cell phone and complete the form. You’ll require to have the following information at hand.
- Your cell phone IMEI number
- Your AT&T account number
- AT&T ccount password, or the last four digits of your Social Security Number
- The device’s phone number
Immediately you agree to the terms and fill out the form, and you’ll get a confirmation email with an unlock request number. Tap the link in the email within 24 hours and confirm the request; otherwise, it will get canceled. However, your unlock request should be successful within two business days.
Straight Talk and AT&T uses GSM network technology to provide wireless services to their customers. Thus, it is possible to use a Straight Talk wireless SIM card on an AT&T cell phone, as long as it’s unlocked and compatible with straight talk services.
If you have a locked device, you can quickly request unlocking port numbers between the two carriers from your respective wireless provider. Most carriers sell their devices locked; hence, you must first submit an unlock request to use your current number with another carrier.