AT&T is one of the largest four carriers in the US, along with T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon. The carrier is the largest telecommunications company globally and the second-largest mobile services provider. You will get offered unlimited data plans, AT&T TV, internet services, reliable nationwide coverage, responsive customer service, a wide range of the latest mobile devices from top brands, and the best special deals for both existing and new customers, among others. This article will focus on how to activate new AT&T phone on the AT&T network.
The happiness accompanied by the purchase of a new device is excellent. If you, your relative, or a friend just bought one, you might wonder where to start and how to get AT&T best phones and plans. Once you have the device, you first want a cellular carrier. Unluckily, most cellular carriers will need you to activate your device to use their network, in this case, AT&T.
The fact you are reading this article, probably you are struggling to activate your phone on AT&T. Fortunately, the process of setting up your cellular service with AT&T takes a short time. It is a quick process that should take you some time to get done. However, this will depend on some factors; the service you want to activate, the type of device, and where you bought it.
What should you consider before activating your new AT&T phone?
Before you activate your AT&T new phone, here are some factors you should consider.
1) Ensure your device is compatible with the AT&T network
Before anything else, check if your phone is compatible with the AT&T network. If your device gets locked to another carrier, you need to unlock it first. Otherwise, the activation process won’t go through.
There are several ways you can check your device’s compatibility with the AT&T network. You can check online using the phone IMEI or contact customer care. You can get your phone IMEI by going to setting>general>about. Another alternative is by dialing *#06# on your phone.
2) Decide whether to port the old number or not.
It is unnecessary now that you change the cellular carrier or device to have a new number. The carrier allows new subscribers to port their old numbers to AT&T. Moreover, you can keep your current phone as long as it is compatible with the AT&T network.
3) Have a SIM card and buy a plan
For the phone to work, you need a SIM card. You can order your new SIM card through the carrier. Ensure that the SIM card has an active plan like AT&T mobile hotspot unlimited data plan and others. Once you have the SIM card, install it in the right slot.
Customers who purchased a phone from AT&T don’t need to order a new SIM card. They should use the one that comes with their devices. This gives you a chance to enjoy one of the AT&T phone deals for new customers.
4) Check AT&T customer service
The carrier offers reliable and robust customer service. They are eager to answer all your most frequent questions at their website support. You can also reach them at 800-331-0500 or 611 from a mobile phone for wireless support.
What do you need before activating your new AT&T phone?
Before you begin your AT&T new phone activation process, ensure you prepare everything you want or must provide.
- Your AT&T new mobile device
- You’r AT&T SIM card
- Your full names, account PIN, and other personal details
- Your device’s IMEI and SIM card number
How to activate new AT&T phone?
If you purchase your phone from AT&T, will highly likely come pre-activated. Place a trial call to any AT&T number to test if activated. If it does not make a call, then you need to activate your phone. However, if the phone call goes through, the phone is activated. There are three best ways to activate your new wireless device.
1) Online Activation method
Note that the method is available for all phones except in the following circumstances;
- If you want to activate a replacement phone AT&T insured one
- If you need to port your number from another carrier
- When you need to activate your phone on another number other than that used during the upgrade
i) iPhone activation process
- To activate your Apple device, download and install iTunes on your PC.
- Connect your phone and the PC
- Proceed to AT&T.com/activations and follow on-screen instructions.
If you are AT&T existing customer, you need to remember your Apple ID. If the activation fails, feel free to contact AT&T customer care via 866-895-1099.
ii) Android activation process
- Head to the at&t.com/getstartedbiz website page
- On the website page, select activate your device
- Fill in all the needed details
- Click continue button
- Follow the on-screen prompts to finish the activation
2) AT&T Activate new phone through call
If the online method fails, you can call AT&T customer care to help you. You only need to get another phone, contact customer care, and explain your aim to activate your phone. They will ask you to provide the phone details like the number and IMEI. Additionally, you should accept their terms and conditions. If everything works out, you will receive an activation message after that.
3) Activate the new phone at the AT&T shop
You can visit one of their shops for activation instead of fumbling with remote activation. This method is the simplest one if you have an AT&T shop nearby. Once there, the shop representatives from AT&T will take you through the phone activation process.
Where to Buy AT&T new phones?
You can purchase them anywhere and take advantage of the AT&T BYOP program. Here are some places where you can buy new phones directly.
- AT&T store: New phones available in their online store. Visit their official website to explore the wide selection of phones from top brands.
- Amazon: The online marketplace offers a wide range of new phones.
- Best Buy: A reputable electronic store safe to purchase your phone. They offer a wide range of new phones.
- Walmart: Get a wide selection of new phones from Walmart. The AT&T activate prepaid phones Walmart purchased are safe, and it makes sense to check them out.
- Official Samsung store
- Apple in-stores
What are top cell phones deals right now?
You can get the following AT&T deals for existing customers and new customers.
- Get Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G free.
- Save up to $800 on the iPhone13 series with eligible trade-in
- Get iPhone 12 Mini for free with an eligible trade-in
- Get $800 off the newest Samsung Galaxy S21 5G models with an eligible trade-in.
- Pay only $10 per month for iPhone 11
- Get a $250 bonus Visa rewards card when you bring your phone to AT&T
- Get an Unlimited Prepaid Plan for only $50 per month when you sign up for Autopay.
- You will not pay an activation fee when you bring your device to AT&T and activate your plan online.
- Mix and match plans for every line on AT&T’s Unlimited Your Way family plan
- Bring your smartphone to a new AT&T plan and get $250 in bill credits for up to two phones totaling $500 payback.
- Get the Galaxy S20 FE 5G for only $5 per month; no trade-in is needed
- Get the Galaxy A52 5G for 50 percent off with an unlimited qualifying plan
- Grab a Galaxy A12 for only $1 per month when you sign up for an unlimited plan
- Save up to $100 on the new Galaxy Z Fold3 and Galaxy Z Flip3 phones with trade-in and unlimited plan
- Save up to $700 on the Samsung Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21+, and Galaxy S21 Ultra when you upgrade, add a line, and trade in an old eligible phone.
What does it mean to have an unlocked AT&T new phone?
By default, if you buy a new phone from AT&T, it is network particular. That implies it can only operate with AT&T network towers even if you use another carrier’s SIM card. Unlocking the device gives you a chance to use any other compatible network. Then you can switch carriers without purchasing a new phone if they have a BYOP program.
Why did my new phone not work on AT&T even after activation?
You may still experience some difficulties if your phone is not compatible with the AT&T network. Ensure that your SIM card gets appropriately inserted in the correct slot. If you tried activating the new phone without a data plan, that might be another reason for not working.
With over one hundred and fifty million customers, there are no doubts that AT&T is among the largest wireless network providers in the US. If you have purchased their incredible cellular services, activating your phone opens the doors. The article has provided a detailed approach to activating your phone and beginning using it on the carrier. If you face any challenge when activating your phone, you can reach out to their customer care, and they will help you.