Verizon is a telecommunications company based in the US. The company offers services such as calling, texting, and access to the internet. Being one the largest communication companies in the US, Verizon boasts strong network connectivity to phones. Currently, the service provider is offering 5G network connectivity to customers with 5G-enabled devices within the 5G coverage regions. Today I will take you through the Verizon Emergency Broadband Benefit program.
When the pandemic situation broke out throughout the world, governments imposed lockdown rules on all the people and more so in major towns. The US government was not left behind in the practice and went ahead to restrict people’s movements. The measures were meant to control the spread of the disease. Eventually, millions of people lost their jobs since they could not go to work.
After the government realized that life was hard for most citizens, they decided to put aside some money to help people in low-income households access low-cost communication services to stay connected to friends and relatives. That is when the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) came into being. Various communication companies got the tender from the federal government to offer low-cost phone services; Verizon is one of them.
About Verizon Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB)
Verizon EBB is a government initiative through the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to help in cushioning low-income households from the costly communication services during the recently attacked pandemic. The main aim of the EBB program is to connect people to their virtual jobs, classrooms, and healthcare during the pandemic.
You should have a cell phone that is compatible with Verizon to use the Verizon EBB. There are various Verizon compatible phones at their stores, and if you are new to the service, you can order online or buy at a store.
Several other cell phone service providers also offer the services to eligible households, although I will base my discussion on Verizon.
When talking about low-income households, we refer to people living together and struggling to meet their daily needs. These could be a single mother and children, single father and children, siblings living on their own, friends living together as a family, and so on.
You can apply for the service online at Verizon’s website. You must get approval from the National Verifier to indicate that you fall in the needy category. Only one person per household should receive the benefit, which means not everyone in the household will need qualification scrutiny.
Application For Verizon Emergency Broadband Benefit
The process below highlights how to apply for the Verizon EBB Program.
- Apply to qualify for the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) at get emergency broadband.
- Complete the order online or call 1.800.922.0204 to get help. You can Mix & Match unlimited plans.
- One should sign up online here for new and existing customers to get the discount applied to their bill. If you are new to Verizon, you should activate your Wireless service.
- Households who are currently in the Lifeline program should sign up online.
Once you pass the qualification process, Verizon will enroll you in the EBB program and apply the EBB credit to your monthly bill.
Apart from subsidized communications services, you may qualify for an EBB free tablet if you apply at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) EBB application page. If you follow that route, you will choose Verizon as your service provider.
It is important to note that the EBB is a temporary program that will end when the pandemic is over. However, according to reliable sources, the program may end before the pandemic is over if the funds set aside by Congress are depleted.
Participation Process In The Verizon EBB Program
Once you have enrolled for the Emergency Broadband Benefit with Verizon, the next thing is using the service. You must have the following in mind.
- You must utilize the service every month to maintain EBB enrollment.
- And you will periodically receive the EBB credit through Verizon until the program ends as long as you maintain the qualifying internet service.
- You can transfer your EBBs to another service provider at any time. Unfortunately, you may not transfer your benefits to another customer.
- At the end of the program, you will use the regular communication rates undiscounted if you continue to receive Verizon’s services.
Internet Services Of Verizon EBB
Since I have talked about Verizon EBB, I am sure you are interested in knowing what it entails. Well, Verizon EBB covers home and mobile internet services. The mobile internet services include the following:
i) Current Verizon Mix & Match Unlimited Phone Plans
- Start Unlimited
- Play More Unlimited
- Do More Unlimited
- Get More Unlimited
ii) Verizon Mix & Match Unlimited Phone Plans
- Above Unlimited
- Go Unlimited
iii) Stand-alone Mobile Hotspot Plans
They include Unlimited and Unlimited Plus plans. You opt for the plan if you don’t have a smartphone line on the account. For Home internet services, the Verizon EBB program has the following.
- Fios Mix & Match Internet, any speed
- Verizon 5G Home Internet
- Verizon LTE Home Internet
The above Verizon low-income internet goes well with a Verizon compatible device. I will later list the available devices at Verizon that you can use with the service.
Eligibility For The Verizon Emergency Broadband Benefit
The eligibility criteria match that of Lifeline. You qualify for the program if:
- You are a participant in any of the qualifying Lifeline programs such as
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit.
- Is a resident on a Tribal Lands and participates in any of the following programs: Bureau of Indian Affairs general assistance; Head Start (specific for those households meeting the income qualifying standard); Tribally administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF); or the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR).
- Applied and approved to take part in the National School Lunch Program.
- Your household income is at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- Have received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
- Have experienced a substantial loss of income from February 29, 2020, and the total household income in 2020 was below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for the joint filers.
- Those who are unemployed or lost employment in 2020 and/or were furloughed.
Duration That Verizon EBB Last
There isn’t an exact date when the EBB will end. However, the program will end six months after the last occurred pandemic or once the funds for the program are no more. Beneficiaries will get a notification from the FCC 60 days before the end of the program.
However, if you are in the Lifeline program, you will continue enjoying the service after the end of the Emergency Broadband Benefits.
Verizon is among the largest telecommunication companies in the US. It offers communication services such as calling, texting, internet connections, and TV packages. The carrier is now on the 5G network.
Currently, Verizon is offering the Emergency Broadband Service that helps to cushion people affected by the recently occurred pandemic. You can also get amazing deals to call, text, and surf the internet.